BUY-SELL-TRADE: LHT Carbine 183483

For anything related to Trapdoor era U.S. martial arms collecting.
Dick Hosmer

BUY-SELL-TRADE: LHT Carbine 183483

Post by Dick Hosmer »

BUY-SELL-TRADE: Springfield carbine 183483. Possibly UNIQUE with LEFT-hand rifling. Almost certainly used in the development of the Buffington sight. This is the same carbine pictured and described and pictured in Chapter 16 of my book “More .45-70 Springfields.”

“Experimental” carbines are exceedingly rare - nearly all such work was tested on rifles. Barrel is marked, ahead of the receiver, on the right side reading from muzzle to breech: “22” over TWIST”, and “LEFT HAND”. Also bears the tiny stamp of Freeman R. Bull. “F.R.B.” on the left side, above the normal proofs. Bull was a master machinist in charge of the experimental shop at SA, a crack shot, and a legend in his own right. The term ‘bull barrel’, for a super-heavy item for target shooting was named after him.

The barrel shows hand layout marks for the rear sight, and must have been hand-rifled. Rifling is of standard form, with three broad lands and grooves - just “backwards”. Gun has a roughish blue/brown/silver patina. Stock is unmarked but very full showing little wear. The lock plate has a cosmetic detail (“US” not centered over “Springfield”) which would never have been allowed on an issue gun. Mechanics are excellent, though I’d probably not shoot it as the barrel was ever-so-slightly loose when I acquired it, 50 years ago, at a Vallejo CA gun show. The seller made no effort to spin a yarn, so there is no provenance trail.

Rear sight now present is a normal carbine Buffington, but it would have been test-fired with a special long-leaf M1879, such as pictured in my book.

Asking $12,000, but serious offers will be considered as there really are no comparables. Feel free to contact me with any questions, or to obtain more pictures. Terms and conditions (for example, I might deliver to a CA buyer) are open to discussion. It really belongs in the SA museum, and, they have expressed some interest - time will tell
no13-01 copy.JPG
no13-01 copy.JPG (125.31 KiB) Viewed 31 times
no13-05b copy.JPG
no13-05b copy.JPG (86.07 KiB) Viewed 31 times
P1010143.JPG
P1010143.JPG (130.51 KiB) Viewed 31 times
Dick Hosmer

Re: BUY-SELL-TRADE: LHT Carbine 183483

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Added a few pics to original post; see above.